Did you know that 99.4% of all candidates fail All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT) every year? While the number of students sitting for this competitive exam runs in lakhs, there are only 52,300 MBBS seats in the country.
Moreover, government colleges have less than 25,000 seats and the all-India quota is just 15% and that excludes premier medical institutes such as AIIMS and JIIPMER. With the figure of failures so high, the motivation levels of students certainly dampens.
But it does not have to be like this.
With proper planning and smart studying, it is possible to secure a spot in a good medical college in the country. Before we discuss tips on cracking AIPMT, we would request you to ignore the “99.4%” figure for once and for all.
There is no point in heading further if you are demotivated internally – and if the number scares you.
So please, remove all doubts from your mind and consider AIPMT a challenge. Read on:
Focus on time management
Here’s a typical format of the AIPMT question paper:
It is a lengthy paper but like (almost) every other exam, AIPMT is also divided into four parts with 45 questions each. For every right answer, 4 marks are given. The student is negatively marked and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer. Yes, they have a strict rule of checking answers. So you have to play smart, when in doubt.
Adding to this, it is important to note that speed matters while writing this exam. AIPMT is 3 hours long and you can’t afford to spend more than 3 minutes on every question. Time flies rather quickly during the test. There are 4 varied subjects to be covered – so much to do!
Therefore, it is important for you to manage your time well, right from the start of the exam.
Get back to textbooks
Basics of physics, chemistry and biology should be on your fingertips. Since you have just finished giving your 12th class boards, most of the information will be fresh in your mind. No matter how many reference books you solve, there’s nothing better than going back to the basics.
Revise your school notes in intervals. The key is to retain the information and have a clarity in your concepts. Put emphasis on the following topics:
- Physics: Mechanics, optics, thermodynamics, nuclear physics, magnetism, electro-statistics, motion, modern physics, solids and semiconductor devices
- Chemistry: Mole concept, general organic chemistry, periodic table, chemical bonding, coordination chemistry, biomolecules, s-block elements
- Biology: Ecology and environment, genetics, cell biology, morphology of plants and animals, reproduction in plants and animals, physiology of plants and animals, basics of biotechnology, animal tissues, animal morphology
Oust App has fantastic modules for quick and easy studying. In fact, each module covers 1 concept. This means you can cover the entire subject by just taking module quizzes. Don’t forget to have a look!
Don’t undermine previous years’ papers
Even though the general format of the question paper has changed over the last few years, you must still practice them to get an idea on the diversity of problems that can be posed. AIPMT is known for unpredictable and it is better to be prepared for all kinds of challenges, than be sorry.
Towards the end of your revision, focus solely on solving previous years’ papers. That will surely benefit you. Plus you will also learn to manage time.
The usual tips…that most students forget!
- The paper is long and asks varied questions. You will certainly know most of the answers but questions that are tough can make you panicky. Stay calm and composed. If you are completely clueless about a question, leave it. Move on.
- Before starting the paper, scan through it properly. Mark those sections that you are confident in and finish them off. Save time wherever possible.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep before the exam. AIPMT is a mentally taxing exam. So it is important for you to relax and indulge in some fun activity a day before it.
Study hard and practice a lot – That’s the ultimate key to success everywhere. All the best!